Heavy alcohol drinking can cause Alcoholic Neuropathy that damages person’s nerve. Almost 50% of alcoholics or heavy drinkers suffer from this condition. People will start feeling tingling and pin in limbs, their peripheral nerves get damaged. This nerve is the one that transmit signal in the body, the brain and the cord.
Effects of Alcoholic Neuropathy
For proper functioning of the body, it needs vitamin E, B12, B6, niacin, folate and Thiamine. Drinking a lot can affect and alter their level a spread alcohol neuropathy to the entire body. They only way to reverse or restore your health condition is by avoiding or abstaining alcohol. This will help you prevent and improve symptoms of nerve damage, but there are some that damage is lifetime or permanent.
With prolonged consumption of alcohol for a period of more than 10 years can cause symptoms such as: a person will now start feeling symptoms of this illness. Alcohol was found out to be the direct toxic to the peripheral nerves, that damage can be cause by consuming progressively.
As discussed above, symptoms of this illness can be felt after years of use and can be worsen until they were treated or identified. This may begin by legs weakness that may lead to dysfunction to motor movement for the sever conditions. Other symptoms are the following:
1. Pain can be classified like needles and pins sensation in the arms and legs.
2. Numbness of some parts of the body.
3. This may affect person’s metabolism the cause’s weakness even in performing daily routine.
4. Cramps of the muscles like in legs, arms and muscle of the spasm.
5. People who are addicted to alcohol are candidate or very prone for becoming impotence.
6. Low level of blood pressure and can affect persons urination.
7. Diarrhea, constipation, vomiting and nausea.
8. Complexity in swallowing drinks and foods.
9. If the person did not notice this symptom, they might also experience impairment of the speech.
Ways to Treat Symptoms
In reversing this condition, the major solution is to heal the nerves and control the symptoms of discomfort. The following tips are needed:
1. Stay away or avoid alcohol, fully eliminate alcohol liqueur from diet.
2. Since alcoholics suffer from deficiency in alcohol they must start drinking supplements or vitamins. Daily multivitamins helps the body receive important nutrients, also take thiamine 100mg daily to improve muscle function and nerve.
3. Seek medical advice from your doctor, over the counter or prescribed medication must be advised to control the pain cause by alcoholism neuropathy. Over the counter medicine such as aspirin or ibuprofen can be use as pain reliever. If you have allergies over this drug or if you did not feel any improvement, ask your doctor for painkiller prescription.
4. Ask your physician for anticonvulsant or antidepressant drug since stern pain can never be ease by ordinary pain killers. Anticonvulsant and antidepressant drug is needed to control the muscle and nerve pain.
5. If possible seeks help from a physical therapist, they will help you to regain control in the muscles and ease the pain by massaging it gently.